Friday, May 6, 2016

The Friday 56: Nepenthe by Lindsay Paige


The Friday 56 is a meme hosted by Freda at Freda's Voice.

Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*It's that simple.

My post this week is from 56% of Nepenthe by Lindsay Paige. I read this last year and it was one of my favorite reads of 2015. I'm finally getting my review up on the blog next week. So I thought I'd feature it in this week's Friday 56.

SYNOPSIS
Corey Kennedy was once a star on the football team at Salem University with his two younger brothers, Jonathan and Patrick. He lived and breathed football, hoping to follow his father’s dream to make it in the NFL. His chance was stolen from him when he was injured and his future in the sport ended.

As did his long-time method of coping with depression, a battle only he knows about and one he refuses to acknowledge.

A year after moving an hour away from his siblings, Corey hits rock bottom. His life is falling apart piece by piece. He’s too lost in his mind to see a way out. Slowly, with the the help of Olivia, a pushy new neighbor, Corey begins to learn healthier ways of dealing with the problems in his life.

His ground is already shaky and unstable while he struggles to stand on his own two feet again. He must find the strength to withstand what life throws at him, or crumble and fall back into his bad, unhealthy habits, which could end the relationships Corey very much needs.


 

FRIDAY 56
From 56% - “I'M WALKING HOME,” I declare as we walk through the bleachers towards Chelsea. Olivia laughs. I almost died. Three times. First, she pulled out in front of an eighteen-wheeler. I saw my brief, sad life pass before my eyes as she gunned the gas. Then, she came within inches of rear-ending someone. Let's not forget she almost hit a pedestrian in the parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment